Saturday, October 4, 2014

ETEC 561 Getting an IDT and Succeeding at it




Section 6: Getting an IDT Position and Succeeding at It
This section of your textbook focuses on jobs in the profession of instructional design and technology: lessons and tips on how to get one and organizations that can support the job search and continued learning in the IDT field. Many of you already have a job in the field or in a related field; however, based on this week’s readings, you’ll reflect on where you are, where you want to go, and what you need to learn or do to get there. Begin your post for this week with some background: what is your current job, what program are you enrolled in, what brings you to that program, and what do you expect when you graduate (change jobs? obtain a promo.




Currently I am in the one year internship for special education teacher certification as the teacher for a behavioral stabilization unit in an elementary school for Dallas ISD.  Last school year, I served as a teacher assistant as I traveled to where I was needed most to work with particularly troubled students in behavioral units in the Dallas ISD. I am in a Master’s Degree program for Educational Technology. My electives in my master’s program are special education courses typically required in a special education program. Currently I am completing a course about working with students with behavioral problems. I completed a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and ultimately aim to be a behavioral specialist. There is a natural marriage between technology and students lacking behavioral control. It is not a magic cure but a tremendous asset. I have observed it is an underutilized tool. The knowledge I obtain in the educational technology program gives me an advantage of knowing sources and uses of technology by actually using it. I will be in a position to not only help students learn but introduce teachers to tools which they might incorporate into daily use.








Next, describe the kind of work that you want to do and the type of organization or institution in which you want to work. Use the WorkMatrix in the chapter titled “Getting a Job in Business and Industry” to help organize your thoughts. Do you most desire first, second, third, or fourth level service? Or would you rather design or develop instruction? What features of work are important to you? What economic sector do you want to work in? Based on these intentions, explain what you need to learn. What skills and qualifications do you need? Will you obtain the skills you need in the required courses in your program? What electives might you need to take to help you develop skills specific to your aspirations?  

My aim is to work with troubled students who have been labeled as behavioral problems. I must help them believe they can learn as I introduce them to ways to use technology to facilitate their development. This may be within the school system or independently as a consultant. After I complete my master’s degree and teacher certification program, I will pursue a behavioral specialist certification. I will advance my experience by continuing to work with students labeled as behavioral problems. I am most pleased that I am able to complement my studies by working with those who often simply suffer from living lives in constant stress, riddled by poverty, in some cases abuse, and more cruelly, indifference or discouragement. The distinction between acceptable and unacceptable behavior means little. They do not have any prior knowledge of what is acceptable and are deaf to cautions and typical school disciplinary processes.
  


Finally, what organizations would best support your continued learning after you graduate? Do you think you would benefit from joining those organizations before graduating? Explain why or why not? 

The best organizations to support my continued learning are educational institutions, perhaps enrolling in a doctoral program or a behavioral specialist program.  Most of all I would like to be in a Clinical Psychology Program.  Very difficult to become a reality for now.
From my work I can identify best practices for the students assigned to behavioral units.  I am a member of the American Psychological Association and subscribe to Monitor on Psychology and American Psychologist publications. These provide global perspective and real-world research results. To keep myself aware of the latest uses of available technology or new developments in educational technology, I recently joined the International Society for Technology in Education, I expect it to be most beneficial also.






9 comments:

  1. "My aim is to work with troubled students who have been labeled as behavioral problems. I must help them believe they can learn as I introduce them to ways to use technology to facilitate their development". This statement from you is probably one of the best statements I've read this term. There a students out there that teachers feel that there is no hope for in the classrooms and they give up. But this is where you would come in and turn things around for the student, teacher, and classroom setting. You also said that you would like to be in a clinical psyc program but it was difficult. Don't ever give up on your dreams and don't let anything stand in your way of achieving your dreams either. I wish you the very best. I enjoyed reading your blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joddi,

      I could not help but to tear, reading your comment! You are an amazing lady and educator. See through my writing, stop there and interpreted the way you did, is all I need!
      Thank you so much for your kindness and professionalism which comes forward through your writing.
      You are the everything, students need. No everyone is able to reply the way you do.
      I am fortunate to learn with people like you!

      Take care of yourself,

      Katerina

      Delete
  2. Katerina,

    I admire your work with troubled students. At the school where I am interning the troubled students are in the high school classes with the rest of the students. I have noticed that many of the troubled students only have certain social problems such as loud uncontrolled talking or attention span issues. Otherwise the students seem to do their work well and the other students don't have any problem with a minor disturbance once in awhile.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy they react that way Carl.
    So I understand you do not have behavior students at your district?
    That is where we aim. Get my students to reach to that exact point. Minor disturbance is perfect. My poor students can not help it at times, they have so many problems Carl!
    Thank you for your comment
    Katerina

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so great to see someone passionate about helping those students who are too often misunderstood or labeled a discipline problems in a school system. I admire your enthusiasm and the way that you clearly care about making a difference in the lives of the students that you work with. You bring up an excellent point when you highlighted the fact that often, due to the daily conditions that these students face, they do not have a clear understanding of acceptable and unacceptable behavior. Perhaps if more teachers could understand students from your perspective, there would be less labeling of students as "behavior problems" and more positive interactions. I find it very interesting that the use of technology can assist in working with students with behavior problems. I think that more teachers could benefit from being educated on this topic. Good luck with achieving your goals. I know, based on your post that you are already making a positive difference and will continue to due so on a larger scale.

    Enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shelli,

      Likewise, you are making a difference by\noticing. That Is what the aim is. Not only student's success, teachers noticing what other teachers do. I learn every semester from my ETEC and EDCI courses. This semester I decided to take another one, Sped 563 Classroom Management. I am overwhelmed with the knowledge our professor has and the willingness to help the ones who care to be helped. It is one of the best Classroom Management courses I have ever taken, or read on my own. I am learning from you and all of you. I need you so I will succeed on what I do. If you do not notice, I do not succeed. I also notice at my school and learn from the best.
      We are surrounded of teachers, not only by profession....

      Thank you Shelli, you make the difference we need.

      Thank you again!

      Delete
  5. It takes a special person to work with those who have behavioral issues. In the many years that I have taught I have come to realize that what we see at school tells us such a small part about the child as a whole. I have been to places that encouraged home visits in order to really grasp what the child deals with every day. This is an amazing way to gain perspective on a child and their "behavior issues."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Mrs. Hancock,

    Yes, home visits tells us exactly what the child is going through. Home and school combined can be unbearable for the child. We can unload their brains by being nourishing kind teachers, educating their heart as much as we educate their brain.

    Have a great rest of the semester Mrs. Hancock, 2 more classes for me.

    ReplyDelete