Sunday, September 7, 2014

ETEC 561: Evaluating, Implementing and Managing Instructional Programs and Projects



One of my preferred methods is Gagne’s method of learning/evaluating instruction.


 


I have always considered the Gagne’s Model one of the most conscious, effective methods of evaluating instruction.  I recommended the Gagne’s model to an FLS (Functional Life Skills) instructor, in our district last semester.  The teacher was grateful and successful in her instruction with her students.  I am also, behavior students do very well with the following way of instructing them.  In his book “The Conditions of Learning”, he gave us nine events of instruction.  Here is how I place them in my classroom.


1.      Gain attention – ask questions
2.      Inform learner of objectives – describe the goal
3.      Stimulate recall of prior learning – relevant to the current lesson
4.      Present stimulus material – student’s prior knowledge relevant to the current lesson.  Include tests.
5.      Provide learner guidance – content is different from instructions
6.      Elicit performance – practice, apply knowledge
7.      Provide informative feedback – analyze learner’s behavior, present a step by step solution to the problem
8.      Assess performance – give general progress information

  9.      Enhance retention transfer – give information about similar situations, provide additional information, ask the learner to give information about the lesson or review the lesson
 
His focus is on behavior and the outcomes of behavior resulting from training.  In behavior, Gagne’s model is considered one of the most valuable for instructors and for learners.  My students need to have the instruction fitted for each one of them.  One for all is not the method in my classroom.  I need to apply to each of my student, my students are not for the instruction “one for all”.  I need to individualize, to make sure my students feel well with the instruction and that they are comfortable with their learning.  Each one has a different level of knowledge and I have to match it with my next lesson.  Gagne’s has saved learning in my classroom. Gagne’s 9 events of instruction is the most effective evaluation in my behavior classroom.

The ADDIE, Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, Evaluation, is the model used by instructional designers, developers of training, teachers, and professors.   There are different formats of the ADDIE, but in general it has those five phases.   

Analysis: When we are in the phase of analysis, we are presenting the goals and objectives, we consider the knowledge of the learner and the skills are identified.  I have to do this for each one of my students. Their level of knowledge is different and their mental ability is not equal nor compared with one another.

Design: When we are at the Design phase, we are dealing with learning objectives, exercises, and lesson planning and media selection if applicable in our case.  I have to implement the design phase with my students.  Cut-outs to media are my selection in order to apply this phase.

Development: When we come to the Development phase, we create storyboards, content and graphics, learning is involved.  Of course technologies, and eLearning, are created in this phase. 

Implementation: When we are at the implementation phase, here the training for the facilitator and the learner takes place.  In this phase we cover the course curriculum, learning outcomes, how it is delivered.

Evaluation:  This phase includes the formative and summative part.  When we look at the formative evaluation, it is present in all stages of ADDIE.  The summative evaluation is the test designed phase and also provides opportunities for feedback from the users.   
When I was asked by my Director to teach teachers reading, I pulled many experts to fulfill this professional development.  I gathered reading specialists, I was the Dyslexia specialist along with the developer/manager of the project.  At the same time most important for our students in Behavior Services are Psychologists as Licensed Specialists in School Psychology, to Speech pathologists and Technology gurus.  The Technology gurus, gave me the equipment to also 
demonstrate.   We all came together to develop the modules for reading, adapted to behavior-challenged and emotionally-disturbed children. We adapted a reading module for non-readers, to accommodate the student who is age appropriate but not literate.  I downloaded the Kindle app and the Learning Ally program to all the pads and laptops. The PD session provided the objectives and the content in conjunction with myself.  I placed the Dyslexia part as most of our students have characteristics of Dyslexia.  Reading for the Deaf and for the Blind was also added to all the technology devices with the applications for the specific program.  For the Deaf; Sign Language and for the Blind students, audio.  I made myself available to evaluate the part of the work which was ready for evaluation before added to the module.  I also arranged for the rewards.  Frames were donated to provide the learners, as a token of our appreciation.  They had a frame for their certification which was given to them after they evaluated the training.  All was done on line before we walked out our training room.  I provided them with a nice-sort of funny but professional notepad, a pen and a snack when they walked in the training room, a friendly touch, made them feel as welcome as they were. 
 









10 comments:

  1. I had never been introduced to Gagne's prior to reading your blog and am inspired by your praise of this particular model. I teach advanced placement English and find myself needing to gear instruction to individuals rather than the class as a whole simply because I have students that are functioning on such different levels within the class. I can certainly see how, situation to situation, Gagne's might be affect in approaching instruction. I have always been an ADDIE person, but will take a closer look at Gagne's now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abbi,

    I work with students with behavioral and mental problems,
    "Gagné’s Differentiated Model of Gift and Talent" is my go to method. It may work with a lot of students and various kind of knowledge.
    Go to:
    https://tip.duke.edu/taxonomy/term/1225
    when you have time, I think you will like the findings.
    I also have found Howard Gardner's methods to be mostly identical to my ways of teaching my students. Gardner is the one who liberated me from one fits all method. I always believed in differentiated instruction. when I read his first book, I felt free.
    His book "Frames of Mind" is a book I read as if I am reading Austen's novel's or the "Call to Mid-Wives", others of my favorite.
    I read it over and over and it is as if I am part of his own classroom along with mine. I love my students, I want them to be successful. I as you have to make sure our students or our children become productive individuals and in control of their lives.

    Thank you Abbi,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the obvious excitement for teaching and love for your students that you have. I teach children with significant disabilities, and like you, individualize instruction and assessment for each of my students. I find it ironic that Gagne's method was developed for Gifted and Talented differentiation, but works so well with students on the other end of the bell curve. I also love that you took time to consider positive reinforcement, even though the situation you were addressing involved a lack of funding.

    Keep fighting the good fight!
    Christi Abramsky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only with teachers like you Christi, we can have "whole" individuals and citizens.

      In today's instruction where we are involved in so many other non instructional situations, we have to be driven to find ways for our students beneficial learning, not to waste time, not to loose a moment, not to let anyone fall through the cracks. Looking for resources, ways, to capture all of my students, all levels of intelligence, brings me to tears, when I came upon Cagne's and Gardner's, with the help of one of my greatest professors - Commerce - a few years ago, I will need pages to discribe my emotions. As a foreigner and not a teacher at the time, not yet, you understand.

      Christi, teachers like you make the Cagne's and Gardner's work, because you care and see the difference. Because you have a zeal in learning, for your students, power in your brain, and most important, a heart beating for the benefit of every student.

      Again, you are the amazing teacher!

      Delete
  4. Good Evening, I enjoyed reading your blog and learned a lot from you! I can relate to you since I used ADDIEs method in my blog. I think I would use this method the most out of all the methods I found. I really liked how you mentioned each phase well and described how you used them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kimberly,
      You are an excellent teacher, I do read your blog, I do not respond but I do read many blogs. I wish I was half as smart as you!

      Delete
  5. Katerina,

    I really liked your take on Gagne's method of learning and evaluating interaction. I am barely on my second year of teaching special education and having students on different levels can be tough at times because of all the modification they all need, but I really liked this eval. I feel like I am also coming out of autopilot (doing what I see other teachers doing) and I are really going to keep this eval when I plan my next lesson that way I can keep my students motivated to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dearest Adriana,
    How I feel for you! Special Education is the most difficult, I think, to teach, you are their hero and ours.
    I humbly want to say how much I admire you and your writing. You are an amazing teacher and an amazing individual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the outline of your feedback engagement. Although I think that if you were to rearrange a few of those orders you would still acquire the effectiveness that you are looking for. However, in my opinion the first on "Gain Attention", this is indeed in its proper placement because without this initial element none of those orders would matter. Also, "Enhance Retention Transfer" is equally crucial. This allows students to not only sum up their learning experiences, but too connect those experiences with something personal and tangible. I really enjoyed reading this outline of implementation. I gained some helpful insight in which to utilize in my very own teaching practices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Gregory,
    That is what I do and look for also. I can gain insight in all of my reading from our colleagues, and then I can utilize them in practices. Teaching or administrative or pass them down when needed.
    This is a great class! Even thought challenging, which I like so much, I am able to follow and have fun reading the chapters along with receiving such an insightful information. We can not learn this from no where else but ETEC.
    Thank you so much for your response.

    ReplyDelete